Virtual Identity is a useful source of information. It allows you to connect with other peers as well as companies, but can at the same time cause trouble. It depends on how the privacy setting shows visibility to the society. For instances, it is possible to set it up so that only intimate friends will be able to view it. When anonymous people want to look at it, they will have to get permission from the blog owner. This will secure personal information better. In some cases, you will have to allow the community to view your personal information on some social net-working site even if reluctant. Only include what is show-able to the public. Hide all unnecessary private information, things that do not need to be on the information list in the first place.
One example will be that you are trying to apply for a job, which might even be your first job in your career path. You need to understand recruiters will most likely do a detail background check before even letting you in for the interview. In such cases, be aware of what they can find and keep certain websites, such as personal blogs out of their reach. Virtual responsibilities is important in a company as it could have a lot of constrains in it. It is the same at work or even at school. Do not try to make stupid confessions through various social networking sites that are open to the community. Do not brag unnecessary things through the Internet that could actually be your weaknesses. Your career path depends on your actions.
Below are some important and useful information that needs to be aware of before posting every time.
Ø Personal Information and Addresses
- Information are what best describe a person. Wanting to share your information with others is not a bad thing, but it doesn't have to be too detailed. With the latest social networking sites such as Facebook or twitter, it is possible to pin someone down to their exact location. It is even easier with the 'check-in' apps provided by I-phone. This will attract unwanted attention from the surroundings. It is useful to remind yourself whether adding your full home address in your contact information is necessary. Only include them when it is really necessary such as when you are filling up an application form online. Everything you inserted electronically will have a general database that records all the information. Even if it seems like you have erase it, it is still possible to re-appear. You will need to prove to the recruiter that you keep check of what you are doing. Keeping certain information only to yourself will be a useful thing. If other people can't see the negative side of you, the recruiter won't either.
Ø Learn to Hide Your Frustrations and Stupid Confessions
- In the work field or during studies, stress can accumulate easily over time. With not only a lot of work awaiting you, it was also your unlucky day of the month. You got scolded by your boss based on really minor technical errors. Your boss is in a bad mood and wants to vent it onto someone else. You got selected, what now?
- How you faced the problem will be essential in this case. There are many people that like to share their frustration with all their net-friends through Facebook. They never thought that their co-workers or even their boss would be able to find it one day. If you were caught, not only will it cause another misunderstanding with your boss, you will also need to solve issues concerning your boss. It is highly not encouraged, but if releasing the stress and anger with friends helps, only do it at a personal blog where the privacy settings have been set to the tightest. In this case, nobody will be able to read it besides readers that you allowed. There are always alternate solutions to release your stress. Meet up with a friend outside work hours or even do some exercise that would give you a change of pace. Always try to maintain a calm and good impression of yourself in front of your boss. Don't do anything stupid that would give you a chance to mess things up.
Ø Company Work Policies and Its System
- Every company has their ways on running their system. The information of the company should not leave the office area even after your shift is over. It isn't necessary to spread around the social networking site when your company decides to undergo a new policy. Do not try to show off your happiness or brag about how it affects you. There are a few reasons why this shouldn't be done.
ü The policy might change again as long as it hasn’t been applied. There is always a need for improvement to various elements.
ü Other employees from rival companies will be able to know the company current situation.
ü Information inside the company stays in the company.
ü Even if you wanted to share it with your friends, it could still be harmful towards the company. As long as the risk of causing trouble to the company exists, it should be avoided.
- One example will be when your company starts a new project and the information somehow leaked towards the society because you posted it on Twitter. Other companies will try to take the initiative to work on new projects similar to your own company. This is mainly because your company hasn’t start putting the elements together. It is all about being competitive in the work field. Just because of one short sentence posted in Twitter, it will force the company to reconstruct the project and make a lot of changes to it. You will most likely lose your job from this occasion.
There are certain rules in the virtual technology era that has to be followed. We need to know what are the limitations one needs to set and under what conditions can they only be exceeded. Always have a clear point of view who is your audiences. Different privacy settings will be required for each social networking site. Personal blogs are meant to be private, work website should only have information that are work-related, and lastly social networking sites such as Facebook or Twitter are for the public. Anyone could stream the information. When you are applying for a job, even if you are the best in school, excel in extra-curricular activities, but have a bad record in your life then everything will add up to zero. All these could be found with a search function through the internet. Show only what you think can help boost your value to the public and nothing that goes the other way. After sending in your resume and application form, the background search the recruiter will be doing will determine if you get the interview or not. It is important to always think twice and who will be reading it before posting anything.